YMCA Swansea was established in 1886, is a charity and limited company, it also operates as a social business. It is governed by a Board of volunteer Trustees, employs 25 people, manages projects across Wales and has a strong volunteer base. We are part of a Federation of 19 YMCAs in Wales, and are part of an international movement with 52 million members worldwide.
Our YMCA Hub is based in Swansea, and has a regional focus covering Swansea, Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire, Neath & Port Talbot. We work in partnership with other like minded organisations across Wales to deliver services in North Wales and South East Wales. YMCA Swansea supports approximately 5,000 vulnerable young people and adults per annum. Our main beneficiaries are disadvantaged young people, adults and communities due to poverty, ill health & discrimination. The Headquarters are based in Swansea and is the base for our services.
Our Social Businesses based in Swansea are:
- Fitness @ YMCA Swansea
- Arts Centre – Theatre, dance studios & recording studios
- Conference Centre
- Managed Office Spaces
- Retail Charity Shop
- City Centre Childcare
- Café @ YMCA Swansea
YMCAs in Wales
YMCA Swansea is an independently constituted charitable organisation, however it operates as part of a wider Federation in Wales, Great Britain and Internationally.
- 19 YMCAs serve nearly 130 communities across Wales
- YMCAs in Wales provide safe, supported accommodation for almost 1,000 people every year
- YMCAs in Wales help 10,000 people engage in training and education every year
- YMCAs in Wales help over 11,000 young people and adults get active every year
- YMCAs in Wales support 7,000 children and young people at our out of school and holiday clubs every year
- YMCAs in Wales have 11,000 young people in Wales regularly participating in our youth engagement work
YMCAs in Wales and England are affiliated to the National Council of YMCAs